Monday, June 23, 2008

How we became three

For those of you that don't know much about us, Ian and I were high school sweethearts. We didn't go to the same high school or even the same college, but we met through a mutual friend and spent quite a few hours on the phone every week. After much planning and scheming we were finally able to get married in June of 2004. We lived in Winnsboro, SC for the first year of our marriage so that I could finish my degree at Winthrop University. While I finished school, Ian worked in Columbia for the Republican Party. After graduation, we moved to Lexington and we both changed jobs; Ian went to work for Senator DeMint and I began teaching 3rd grade resource in Gilbert. After a year of teaching, we were ready to start a family and I was offered a job at our church that would allow me to work from home when we had kids. After much prayer, we decided to make the switch and I took a job as the Children's Director for our church. After a little over a year of trying to get pregnant with no success, we started the long road of visiting doctors, running tests, and taking medication. We have never been given a reason for our infertility, but it is no longer something we morn over. We both have a complete peace with every one of our children being "heart babies", as we like to call them. The Lord led us down this road and used it to shape us and mold us in ways we couldn't begin to imagine, and in the end he gave us the most precious gift of all, Sawyer. We felt the Lord leading us to adopt and in August of 2007 we began the process. By the beginning of December everything was complete and we were preparing to wait; however, the Lord had other plans. On January 15th, we got our baby phone call saying that there was a 2 1/2 week old baby ready for us if we wanted him, but we had to pick him up the next day. On January 16th we brought William Sawyer Headley home! He has been a delight from the first day and we thank the Lord daily for bringing him into our lives.

1 comment:

Ben Rudy said...

What a wonderful trip down memory lane. Might I add how awesome Ian & Lauren are. I had the wonderful privilege of attending high school with Ian. He invited me to Bible Study at Lauren's Folks house on Sundays. Ian & Lauren were truly meant for each other from the moment they first met. I've never met another couple that were so dedicated to the Lord, each other and their family. I still remember tears running down my face when I was in Iraq and I made a phone call to Ian. He was so thrilled telling me the were going to adopt a child. I was blessed by meeting Sawyer after returning home from Iraq. I have no doubt he will become a wonderful man. Due to my Army obligations I haven't been able to meet Jack and Libby yet but I look forward to the day I do.