Monday, October 3, 2011

31 Days in the Kitchen - Day 2

So I'm off to a great start; I completely forgot to blog DAY 2 of this series.  Awesome.  : )

I'm sure that a lot of you think of Sunday as the day you had a huge family dinner after church, and while that happened often in our house, I think big breakfast (even as dinner sometimes) were more common.  Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE a big family dinner but on Sundays sometimes easy is where it's at!  For the majority of our married life I've worked a job that has allowed me to work from home but requires that I work on Sundays at our church.  Awesome for our kids, but not very conducive to cooking lunch or dinner for that matter.  Since I didn't want to eat out a ton, we started doing breakfast for dinner on Sundays.  More often than not, it will be pancakes, eggs and bacon.  What's the best part about it (besides how easy it is)?  Little people really can help!  Since Sawyer was little he's helped dump and stir and now I have two little helpers.  : )  One gets the dry ingredients and one gets the wet and they can stir to their little hearts' content.  I love that my boys love to help (at least most days) and while it may take a little bit longer, the time we spend together is worth a little extra flour on the floor, milk on the counter and batter on my clothes.

So Day 2 is Pancakes!!

Ingredients:
1 cup self-rising flour, plus 2 tablespoons
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup buttermilk (just add 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice to milk)
3 tablespoons melted and cooled butter
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a bowl mix your dry ingredients until well incorporated and there are no big lumps of flour.  In a separate bowl mix the milk and butter, then whisk in your egg and vanilla.  Once mixed well, slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry.  Now, here's the important part DON'T OVER MIX IT!!  The temptation is always to try and make it a smooth batter because you don't want to have clumps of flour, but if you do that you will have flat pancakes.  I usually whisk it briskly while counting to 20 and then make yourself stop.  Obviously, you don't want huge lumps of flour, but you will have some small ones and that's ok.  Put your batter in the fridge while your griddle (or pan) heats up to a medium high heat.  On my griddle that's about 375, but just play with your settings.  When you get your batter out you should see lots of little bubbles on the top.  Don't stir it up again, just be sure that you scoop down deep into your bowl to get some of the bottom and the top layer.  Pour it on and watch those beautiful pancakes fluff up!  Yum! 
  


Come back later today for some ideas for that leftover roasted chicken!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

SydneysHome said...

So, I'm really excited you're doing this. I have a question. Do you this recipe instead of Bisquick because the recipe tastes better, because it saves money, because it's tradition, because it's less processed, or for another reason? Also, I bought my first package of bone-in chicken breasts ever yesterday because of your roast chicken recipe, so I'm counting on it!

The Headley's said...

Syd, you're so funny! I'm sure your chicken will be great! Definitely play around with the spices too, depending on what sides you do with it.

So, I started doing it this way because I didn't have Bisquick one day, but then I realized that I liked it better. Plus, I never really used Bisquick for anything else, and I always have these ingredients. I fiddled with the recipe for months before I decided this was my favorite. Thick, fluffy little clouds of pancake : )

SydneysHome said...

Thanks Laurin. I love thick, fluffy little clouds of pancake!