Monday, October 3, 2011

31 Days in the Kitchen - Day 3

So, I was thinking about it, and I'm pretty sure a large portion of my favorite day-to-day memories were made in the kitchen. This particular memory has absolutely nothing to do with my recipe, but I thought I would share anyway. : )
Growing up, my Dad's parents lived in Florida so we didn't get to see them often, but when we would visit we would stay for a week at a time. My grandparents were very active then and would get up early for breakfast and then go walking or riding their bikes. Getting up to eat breakfast with them was the highlight of my trip! Now, you might think that would be because of the wonderful breakfast food we ate, but it wasn't the food that made it special. It was normally a bowl of cheerios or raisin bran in these little plastic bowls in muted pastel colors. I would be so excited about joining in that I would usually wake up before them and then sit on the step in the dark, looking in the direction of the kitchen, waiting for the light to come on. As soon as I saw that light I would make a beeline for the kitchen where I always got a hug, a bowl of cereal and some juice. We would sit, eat and Grandma and Grandpa would ask me about my little world. The best part though, which I can remember as though it happened yesterday, was when breakfast was done. Grandpa would get his Bible out and Grandma and I would sit on his lap while he read. I remember feeling so special in those moments. Now that I'm older, I look back on the love that they had for one another and I'm grateful for another wonderful example of marriage that the Lord gave me starting at that kitchen table.
Well, like I said, that story has nothing to do with my recipe, but that's ok. Chicken Enchiladas can go with anything. : )
Ingredients:
- 2-3 cups shredded, cooked chicken
- 1 package mexican blend cheese
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 16 oz container sour cream
- a few shakes of ground cumin, coriander and chili powder
- tortillas
Now before I get started, let me say that this makes a lot! I usually do one of two things, make it and freeze some for later or cut the recipe in half.
So this is one of those super easy recipes that you can use when you need something fast! You can use the lowfat version of everything and it tastes the same to me! Mix all of the ingredients together, feel free to add some black beans or green chilis if your family likes them, then put several spoonfuls in your tortilla and roll it up, making sure to tuck in the ends and edges. Once they are all wrapped then you can either brown them in a pan one at a time with a little bit of oil, or line them up in 9x13, brush them with oil and brown in the oven. While they are browning, you can cook the sauce.
1 1/2 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon flour
1-2 tablespoons chili powder (depending on how hot you like it)
8 ounces chicken stock
5 ounces tomato puree
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon cumin
salt to taste
Heat the oil in a saucepan and then whisk in your flour and cook for one minute, but be sure not to let it burn! Add your chili powder and cook another 30 seconds. Whisk in the rest of your ingredients and then bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes, then ladle over enchiladas before serving. For a twist you can add some lime juice.
Note: you can use the leftover bones and skin from your chicken to make some stock!

No comments: