Monday, October 10, 2011

31 Days in the Kitchen - Day 9 and 10

So yesterday was a crazy day for us, but I'm hoping that this will be the last time we do a two for one blog post. : )  I'll try my best!
So let's just get real for a minute shall we?  Tonight I was reminded of how my evenings don't always go as planned and sometimes dinner doesn't get on the table "on time" and my circumstances aren't always ideal . . . and that's OK!  I got home from running some errands a little late this afternoon and I needed to go ahead and get something in the oven so I just left the groceries on the floor and started peeling some apples.  While I was doing this Sawyer started "helping" unload the groceries for me and when I turned around all three of the kids were in the middle of the floor and the rest of the floor was literally covered in groceries and empty bags.  Yep, I've got some great helpers. : )  We all have moments like this, and often during dinner preparation.  In these moments we've got a choice to, out of frustration and pure self, send the kids out of the kitchen and proceed to clean up in a huff or gently guide and direct our kiddos and teach them to put away the groceries and really help.  Which do you choose?   After a long day, I know sometimes I'm way to quick to make the wrong choice, instead of letting the Spirit work through me to teach my kids.  For you, maybe it's a co-worker that leads you to the breaking point, your husband or another family member.  It's hard, but when I'm tempted to be short, or when I have been short I can't help but remember this encouragement from Isaiah 40:11 "He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."   Doesn't that melt your heart and give you such a peace?  If you have been bought with the blood of Christ, if you are part of His flock He carries you close to His heart!  I hear those words and it makes me feel cared for, loved and cherished.  He gently leads me, and He, more than anyone, knows how much I need it!  Lord, let me gently lead my babies the way you lead me! 

Well, since I can't figure out a good transition, I'll just leave you with two recipes. : )  We'll do one for breakfast and one for dinner.

My kids love oatmeal.  I love the idea of oatmeal.  I love the health benefits of oatmeal, but I really don't care for the texture of oatmeal.  That is, until I tried baked oatmeal.  This I love!  It makes a lot, but you can keep it in the fridge and then reheat in individual bowls the next morning with a little bit of milk or water. 

Baked Oatmeal

2 cups frozen blueberries
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
1 (18-oz.) container regular oats
3 large eggs, beaten
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups water
1 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter

Toss 2 cups blueberries in 1 Tbsp. lemon juice. Combine oats, next 9 ingredients, and remaining 1 Tbsp. lemon juice in a large bowl, stirring until well blended.  Mix gently with the blueberries and pour into a greased, 9x13 baking dish.  Bake, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes; uncover and bake 20 more minutes or until golden brown and set. 

Variations:  You can switch the blueberries for peaches, or a 1/2 cup toasted pecans and 4-5 chopped Granny Smith apples. 

One of our family's favorite recipes!  This is such a nice change from plain old barbecue sauce out of a bottle.

White Barbecue Chicken

1 pint mayonaise
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons pepper
6 tablespoons lemon juice
6 tablespoons white vinegar
4 tablespoons sugar
1 package bone-in, skin on chicken

Blend all ingredients until smooth.  You can cook your chicken in the oven or on the grill.  If you choose to grill it, then partially boil it first so as not to burn  it or over cook it.  Either way, you'll want to start applying your sauce the last15-20 minutes of cooking.  Brush sauce on, let cook for a few minutes, then flip and brush the other side.  Continue doing this coating each side 3-4 times.  Remember, there is sugar in the sauce, so it will burn if you cook it too long.  If done on the grill, you may want to move it to indirect heat while applying the sauce. 

1 comment:

Danielle said...

So great! You are doing awesome with your 31 days! I might even make that baked oatmeal! Or better yet, why don't you make me some with apples and pecans, you excellent wife you :)!!!