Tuesday, October 4, 2011

31 Days in the Kitchen - Day 4

For the rest of this month we'll spend Tuesdays doing Tips for the Kitchen. I know, really clever, huh? : ) Today's tips may seem a little basic and common sense to some of you, but I think it's very needed. If there is one question I get asked the most, it would have to be, "How do you coupon, spend so little on groceries and plan your meals?". Well the answer is pretty simple, I use what I have. Ok, let me be a little more detailed in case that was about as clear as mud. : ) I go shopping each week, and I always make a list so I know how much I'm spending when I go into the store. When I'm looking at the sales, I always start with meats. I try to buy enough meat for the week, so I look at our week and weekend to see if there are any events or plans that would alter that (i.e. going over to someone's house or a meeting). If there's a really great sale on something that I use often, like chicken breasts, then I might get enough for two or more weeks depending on how sales run. Once I've picked out my meats then I look through the sale items for things that I will use. If I see things on sale like tortillas then I'll make sure that I have stuff to do fajitas one night before I finish my list. I don't always plan every meal, I just make sure that I keep my spices well stocked and plenty of the essentials (we'll go over this in another post). I usually make sure I have meat out the night before, and if there isn't something that jumps out at me right away I start searching. I'll flip through my recipe book first, and then I will usually go to foodnetwork.com or allrecipes.com. My goal is always to try one new recipe a week. I look for recipes that have 5 stars and lots of ratings. If that doesn't seem to really work for you, then just e-mail or call a friend that you know as a good cook and ask them what you can do with the ingredients you have. : ) Make sense? If you need more detail about something, or if a portion of that didn't make sense, then just ask! So on to our recipe!
Today, I wanted to give you something to put on the side with your chicken and something that will probably be a new favorite in your house! Seriously, my children love this super easy recipe! About a year ago, I was looking for something new to do with sweet potatoes. I love a good baked, sweet potato, but I was getting a little tired of them. I love sweet potato casserole, but there is no way that can be a regular attendee at my table! Well, then I found a recipe that I changed up and I think it might be better than sweet potato casserole and definitely better for you!
Honey Butter Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
Cut your sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes then place in a bowl. Melt your butter then stir in the honey and cinnamon. Pour the butter mixture over the sweet potatoes and then mix until evenly coated. Put in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until tender. You can serve as is or sprinkle a little sea salt for that salty/sweet combo.

Note: you can roast these in the same oven with roast chicken, just cut the cook time a bit and make sure to watch them so your sugar doesn't burn!  Also, excuse the little bit of missing skin on the chicken.  I may have nibbled a little bit before I thought to take a picture. : )

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds so delicious!!! I need to try it out for sure!!!

Ashley said...

These are amazing. I'm so glad you shared them with us bc now they are one of my FAVS!

Unknown said...

Laurin, I want to try this recipe but wanted to ask your opinion. I am not a huge fan of cinnamon, so I was wondering how strong it flavors the sweet potatos and could I use brown sugar instead of the cinnamon?